Sunday, March 11, 2012

Cultural Activities
Carnaval in Sitges
Sitges celebrates non-stop during the liturgical season with Carnaval. My friends and I decided to attend on the final Tuesday. There was an eclectic mix of outrageous costumes, constant music and parade after parade. We got to Stiges by train which happens to be much of the extent of my photographs. My friends and I to joined in the debauchery and dressed in costume as Indians, a devil, a matador and many other silly things. 

Olympic Museum 
Located on top of Montjuic, I was able to see the remnants of the '92 Olympic games and visit the museum. It was great to actually be able to put somewhat of a face to the games since we were talking about it in class and how it literally changed the whole city. Not only did I learn about sport in society but I was able to learn more about how they changed the city of Barcelona. 
Flamenco Show
Although not exactly a Catalan cultural activity, I was able to go watch a flamenco show. I was pleasantly surprised at what all entails a flamenco show. I was expecting to see a bunch of women dancing in a group but what I experienced was a lot of focus on the song as well as dance. The dancers faces were so severe and strong it is easy to formulate that there is a deep cultural meaning for them in the dance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment