Sunday, April 22, 2012


Field Trips
Pamphlets from MUHBA
Museu d'Historia de Barcelona 
Our first field trip took us to the MUHBA, which is a new concept of museum which has facilities all around the city of Barcelona. Together they account for more then 2,000 years of history in the city with the objective to conserve the heritage of Barcelona and spread it among visitors. On our trip we saw the Temple d'August which are ancient Roman remains. The columns are still intact located inside a building where people now live (as pictured below). I find it fascinating that you could walk by this building many times and never know that inside are these huge ancient columns.  


Barri Gotic
The narrow streets here are very different to the roads near my apartment and the streets I walk on daily. Being the center of the old city, the Gothic quarter has such an ancient feel. Learning about the streets and having them named in relation to what was sold/who lived there really took me back to a different era and allowed me to grasp just how old the area was that I was standing in. Buildings dating from Medieval times and even Roman times really put in perspective how old Europe is in relation to the US.
 

El Raval
Another part of the old city, Raval is probably my favorite barrio in Barcelona. I find it so historic, authentic and full of personality. It is so multi cultural with so many unique shops and cafes. I love when I have nothing to do just walking around and getting lost in Raval since it is very near to my apartment.